Thursday, July 29, 2010

I'm back.

Well boys and girls, it has been a while. I told you on July 13th that I would return a week later with a big fat grin on my face and an improved outlook on my surroundings.

A tragic event in my hometown occurred that reminded me of a devastating time in my life, along with the lives of a entire town. Over the past week I have worked on a piece that has yet to see the light of day. I'm not sure what is holding me back on publishing it, I just can't seem to do it yet. Reminiscence of this event was painful, but has helped me to take a step back into reality and appreciate what I do have, rather than the job that I don't have. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches and have faith. So although the future is still uncertain in Magee's world (isn't it always uncertain for us all), I will take a break from searching for jobs on Craigslist, The Times Union, The Career Center, and any poor saps ear who will listen to me complain about unemployment.

In all honesty things have continued to look more and more jumbled for me, but I'm trying to stay positive. I've got some great people close to me, along with some people who are trying there best to look out for me; it just seems the world doesn't want to cooperate yet. Who knew that four years of college at a more than respectable school would result in such a struggle to even acquire a part time job. This irks me quite a bit but I suppose it would do more than just irk me if I wasn't on a athletic scholarship for close to five years.

Three summers ago I mad a killing at the Saratoga Race Track. A place where money fluctuates quicker than Usain Bolt can run the forty, is now having trouble keeping myself and other experienced workers consistently on staff. What they do is put you "On Call" and then call you the morning of when they expect you to work. This morning they called me an hour after they expected me to be there. Earlier in the week I was told via phone that they would call me the day before they wanted me to work... Frustrating people. In the meantime I have been feverishly searching for part time employment around the Capital District. Even the Siena connections I have haven't panned out thus far. Companies usually looking for part time summer employment are now downsizing. Turns out the economy I could have cared less about during college is now having a huge effect on my current state of living here in Albany.

For now I will keep searching and keep my head up. It has been hard not to get frustrated and at times curse out loud, but as I've mentioned I'm lucky enough to have some great people in my corner; can't ask for too much more than that.

On a positive note I have less than two weeks remaining in my prolonged academic career. The light is near and I still barely know a lick of sign language, but my teacher is a sweetheart and see's that I am an effort guy. She jokes with me that she can't talk and I can't sign... God bless her soul.

Enough about my own life, let's talk about two other peoples. As most Siena basketball fans already know Kenny Hasbrouck will be signed by the Miami Heat on what seems to be a temporary contract. I never knew these things existed, but congratulations to Kenny. Kenny is more than a great basketball player, he is a great friend, who always looks out for those close to him.

Phil Cahill isn't a household name like Kenny Hasbrouck, but he is also a great friend of mine who could come in handy for some of you readers in the Capital Region looking for exemplary baseball instruction for your children (or if your a middle aged man holding on to dreams of the big leagues). Phil's clinics will focus on mainly middle school aged boys, but is willing to take on younger kids as well. The clinics will focus on any aspect of baseball that is needed. Phil was a four year starter at Siena and earned All-MAAC honors his Junior season. He also spent last summer playing professional independent ball in Illinois. Phil is a young coach who has an bright future coaching at the division one level. His playing days as a catcher makes him versatile to work with any position. If you're looking to get better as a young ball player in the Capital Region, Phil Cahill is your man.

That is all for now folks. If you have a job opportunity for me, I'm all ears. I work hard and can lift fifty pounds over my head.

Suggestion of the week: Contact Phil Cahill for a baseball lesson... Shoot him an email at pcahill@siena.edu OR visit his website for more information at http://tristatebaseballcamp.webs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment