Monday, August 9, 2010

My own graduation and college in a nutshell

It happened a little later than it does for the majority of America's youth, but tonight, I unofficially graduated from college. There was no graduation music, no arena or civic center filled with family and friends. I didn't get a hat or tassel, there were no dinner plans for after the ceremony, and most importantly the only person that was honored was me. Call me selfish, different, or just flat out weird, but I'll take the emphatic hug in an empty room at Hudson Valley Community from my sign language teacher, followed by a spaghetti dinner and a couple celebratory Pabst Blue Ribbons any day of the week. I guess it's just the way I roll, blog world. Here is college in a short, but long nutshell.

Get to college earlier than everyone. I'm an athlete! Big stuff on campus boys and girls.

I realize quickly, girls like me better here than in high school. This is great and sucks at the same time. Great they notice me, sucks I have know idea how a woman's mind works, or my own for that matter.

Basketball season comes, and I become friends with everyone. Some of the older players take interest in me. They show me the way. There all still my friends today.

I play on ESPN and hit a three pointer. Everyone in my hometown texts me. Hard work pays off, right world?

We lose in the MAAC championship game my freshman year on national TV. I play but don't do too much significant. I watch two of my friends shed one or two afterwards. I watch a manager bawl his eyes out, and realize how big this monster is... I like it though, being a part of something bigger than you is good for the soul, right world?

Something bad happens that summer. It was awful and changed my life. I miss these people, I guess I thought about it more and more that summer and the year that followed. But still, once and a while something makes me think of these people. Sometimes it makes me sad, and sometimes these people help me smile and get through a tough day.

Sophomore year begins. I find a girl that is well worth trying to figure out and I try not to look back. I start some games as a Sophomore year. Don't always do great, but play hard every single game. No regrets in that regard world.

We go to the NCAA tournament. I'm nervous as hell but love it. I make a few under the radar plays and feel sweat on my back when the buzzer sounds and we celebrate a win. Hard work pays off right world?

I go to Italy. I have no expectations on my way into this trip. I stay out late some nights. Other nights I stay in with a good friend and enjoy scenery. This isn't really my cup of Joe, but there is something special about being somewhere foreign isn't there world?

I buy a rabbit on a groggy Sunday morning in the fall of my Junior year. I had never had a pet and I fall in love with her. My teammates make fun of me and my girlfriend is terrified of her, but she is special to me. Not usually my cup of tea, but college is supposedly built for change and experimentation, right world?

I begin questioning whether or not I want to pursue a career in professional basketball for the first time in my life. Basketball at the division one level is a job. I think of everything I've been fortunate enough to see and do because of basketball and press forward.

Shortly after my questioning my love of basketball, I get hit in the head; real damn hard. I bleed excessively, stumble around, get caught by a couple teammates, and get some staples in my head. I tell coach I'll be ready for the next practice; this has happened to me a few times. This blogger has had his fair share of cobwebs before. Little did I know my first true love was in a way, breaking up with me. Nobody said relationships would be easy, did they world?

It was a terrible breakup. Basketball tries to press charges against me. I won't give it up. I show up when it doesn't want me there and it tries to get a restraining order on me. Now I'm not only upset with basketball, frankly I'm mad at you world. The breakup is so bad I feel like throwing up during most days and migraine headaches follow. Breakups hurt don't they world?

Restraining order is now in effect and basketball says it doesn't want to see me the way we have seen each other for sixteen years ever again. Basketball says it is for my own health and well being permantly breaking up with me. I'm done being pissed off now. Basketball agrees to be just friends. Friends help us through tough times, so I accept. Good decision, don't you think world?

Basketball and I get along just fine again. Most of the pain is gone. Without basketball I see other things. I discover the power of pages filled with words. Some people read these words, some people like them, others do not. I discover Stephen King is fun, and even a little horror here and there is OK, especially when it is so well written, right world?

I say goodbye to a great coach and a friend. Someone who always looked out for me, simply because he believed in me. A new face is now at the helm at my old stomping grounds. He is a man who cares for me as well. It's nice when hard work pays off for people, isn't it world?

Now I am here tonight. Life is uncertain, a bit scary, but downright exciting. I'm one of the fortunate people on this planet to still stand with special people around him. Damn I'm lucky, aren't I world?

This time next week I will be sitting on a lake watching bats fly aimlessly in the nights sky. I will spend my days playing whiffle ball home run derby, burning my Irish skin, eating lobster, and sipping diet cokes. It will be my first and last run of carelessness this summer. The day I get home I start a job. Hopefully by that time my pending apartment will be a sure thing. Something inside me says it will be world.




No comments:

Post a Comment