Tuesday, June 1, 2010

"People Need to be entertained, they need the distraction..."

Yesterday I laid down in my big uncomfortable bed (the same bed in which I only touch one side of), and decided I would recap the happenings of the 2010 Gym Rat Tournament Challenge, along with Memorial Day. 800 words later, and some careful editorial work and the screen went blank.... The power cord came off and 800 words of pure genius were now nothing but... well nothing. I proceeded to throw a fit in which I punched my bed three times, yelled an obscenity, and then decided it was time to get over it and go make pizza.

Ok so back to the Gym Rat. For those reading who don't know what a monster this thing is let me explain. Thousands of players, hundreds of teams, and countless angry parents travel to Albany every Memorial Day weekend to compete in two days of humidity at Siena, UAlbany, and Skidmore College. The Gym Rat is run more effectively than any tournament I've ever been around, and I've been around these events since fourth grade, but that doesn't mean the weekend doesn't pass without some stressfull moments for everyone involved. Players like to talk trash and throw elbows, parents like to think their kid is the next John Wall, and workers... well us workers just want to get a nice paycheck and make sure nothing that will involve the police or an ambulance will occur. The weekend went as smooth as possible and on Monday morning I woke up with just a minor hotdog and coffee hangover, which was a win in my book.

The Jersey Shore Warriors 16U and 17U teams were a joy to watch for any basketball fan at the tournament. In the corrupt world that is AAU basketball this program does things THE RIGHT WAY and plays with class, not to mention they are loaded with Division 1 talent. Siena commitment Rob Poole proved to watchers and evaluators why he is so highly sought after, as he brought home the Most Valuable Gym Rat award. His jumpshot can be described in one word and that is soft, but what impressed me most about him was his basketball IQ and his willingness to play hard on the defensive end, something that is seldomly seen on the AAU or high school level.

After getting over my mild case of food and coffee indused hang over I turned my attention to Memorial Day. Memorial Day is a day that is meant to be spent with family and friends. Since my family is scattered between Western New York, the woods of Maine or Canada, I turned my attention to friends (atleast that's what I like to call them). A day that was believed to be a day full of more junk food and war movies quickly turned into a suprisingly eventfull day when O.D. Anosike informed me that he had found a cookout for us to attend. For two hours we baked in the sun, ate hamburgers (no hotdogs), and pretended like we were 10 years old again while we played Marco-Polo in a pool. Once we were all nice and wrinkled up reality set in that we were all well above the age of eighteen and we returned to the cellar of Hennepin Hall.

Well I still don't own a car, and it's weird I still don't really seem to care. I don't have much money as it is and their is a rumour going around the United States that gas is expensive, so count me out. I now have two followers on this bad boy, and one is a family member so I'm not sure that counts. That is all well and good though, as I have stated, when I get bored or when I am trying to avoid American History this is a nice escape. If anyone is wondering how that History mid term went for me... well it went... You can't win them all, or atleast that's what a smart man once told me.

Today's Suggestion: If you're looking for a mediocore movie that will take atleast five viewings to acquire a taste for check out Stephen King's The Stand. It couldn't carry King's novels shoes to the gym, but Kareem Abdul Jabar is in it, and it rivals his performance in Airplane...Enjoy the bipolar weather people.

No comments:

Post a Comment