Saturday, September 4, 2010

Summer is ending, hello fall, goodbye blog world: "And I know because we were kids, and we used to hang."

Leaves are turning brown and gold, and as this heat waves begins to come to an end, it is evident that fall is close in the rear view mirror. Following a two and a half week stint of living out of my car, I have found a place to call home.

My parents were gracious enough to take time out of their busy lives to come to Albany to help me move in. A time frame was set on their short stay here. This meant heavy lifting and maneuvering for myself and my father. This also meant my mother had to do her best Martha Stewart impression in a half a day.

At the end of the day I have a bed and some basic living essentials to live on for now. That is more than can be said for my roommate who sleeps on the floor, and is on the verge of having his big toe removed... But that is another story for another time.

Today is my day off. This means what grown ups call errands is in order for me. Curtains must be purchased. I guess the neighbors are tired of seeing me do my rain dance half naked in my room every evening. Yeah, curtains would be nice gesture.

Everyday I get a little better at selling rugs. I worked a double for the first time in my life yesterday and by 8:00 P.M. I started a mild hallucination. This hallucination lead to believe the rugs were large snakes. I hate snakes.

As myself and the lost children around me continue to settle into the realms of the real world I have gathered some early observations. The world is corrupt people, and we the people is what makes it corrupt. Hell maybe I'm corrupt and I'm to arrogant to realize it. My job isn't so bad, but through horror stories from others make me believe that maybe the best way to get ahead and stay ahead in this world is to be selfish. I'm not ready to turn the corner yet, but you and I both know there is millions of young people who are ready to throw any ounce of childhood purity left into the fire.

So which one will you do? Or has it already been done? Have you turned it all in already to adjust, fit in, and make it? We'll if you have thrown in your cards, shame on you. Maybe shame on me. We all change. Parts of us have to to in order to survive. I understand this. But don't forget how you felt when you were five, or ten, or seventeen, or twenty one. When helping another person, or smiling and saying "How you doing today?" to a stranger. When your whole life wasn't centered around a cooperate paycheck. When making someone else look bad for you to get ahead was either not a option, or made you feel shameful afterwards.

I'm not perfect, far from it. But I'll be up shits creek if I step over. Shits creek sucks. I know I've swam in that creek a few times. You leave smelling bad and with a bad taste in your mouth.

Errands call folks. Blog time is over. I don't have a computer that has Microsoft Word. I'll have to wait for my full time job to start paying some dividends. I'll check my email periodically, but soon Siena will take away my student account. For now I'll write to the endless email requests I have received for hand written blogs, sending them to my avid readers respected addresses (laughing out loud fully intended).

It has been quite an educational summer. A summer that was straining enough to push my hairline back a quarter of an inch. That is fine though, all apart of growing up. My tirade on my early observations of the real world won't come to a surprise to many older readers. However many people are still doing great things while striving for personal ambitions. So those that are doing that, shoot for the stars and "Stay Golden Ponyboy." And to those who have jumped the track to the other side best of luck. Just know when I walk into a supermarket with a backwards hat on and gym shorts and I throw you a smile, and on the receiving end I get the "Look at this idiot" glance, I plan on keeping that smile on. No great loss.

Take care folks. Remember when you were young, and if you still are young, when you grow up, do yourself a favor and remember when you were young.


"If prime time TV and credit card debt, If a new auto lease and real estate investments, Are all that we have, then we're already dead, So let's rob our own graves and sneak out of this pen, And there's only one place where we can escape, And that's on the run, so that's where we'll stay, And we'll leave what we own and we'll leave what we know, But we'll be together so we'll always be home."

A exert from a song by Attica Attica.

2 comments:

  1. Cory , I enjoyed reading your blog all summer and I am going to miss it a lot. You did a really good job doing this !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great blog. I like checking in and reading these, it's a nice break from reading Plato. Either way, best of luck as you move on in life man.

    Cheers,
    Zach Mentz

    ReplyDelete